Bakersfield Bicycle Accident Attorney
Did You Suffer a Bicycle Accident Injury?
Riding a bicycle through the streets of Bakersfield certainly has its benefits. It is an economical, fun, and healthy way to get around. With the introduction of e-bikes, biking has never been more popular. But with more bikes on the road, there has been an uptick in bicycle accidents involving motor vehicles. Tragically, many people have lost their lives in these types of accidents.
If you or a loved one was involved in a serious bicycle accident in Bakersfield or Kern County, our experienced bicycle accident attorney at Horizon Accident Lawyers can help. A lawyer can ensure you receive adequate medical attention and the financial compensation you need to fully recover. Contact our Bakersfield bicycle accident attorney at (661) 885-0615 or by filling out a quick online form.
Bakersfield Bicycle Accident Statistics
Bakersfield is the 11th most dangerous city in the U.S. for cyclists, with 293 annual bike fatalities per 100,000 commuters. While safer than big cities like Los Angeles and San Jose, Bakersfield’s fairly large population is not immune to accidents on its streets and intersections.
Many Bakersfield residents feel the city lacks enough designated bike lanes and signs signaling for drivers to “share the road.” However, given the unpredictability of most bicycle accidents, it’s hard to say what the real solution is for bicycle safety.
Why Choose Horizon Accident Lawyers?
A serious bicycle accident can cause serious harm, both physically and emotionally. At Horizon Accident Lawyers, we help clients injured by negligence. Our goal is to help victims recover financially from their accident so they can go out and enjoy the things they love.
Our team of experienced personal injury lawyers maintains a 99% success rate. We also operate on a strict contingency fee, meaning we do not collect upfront legal fees. We only collect a fee unless we win your case. If we don’t win, you pay nothing.
As a courtesy to all potential clients, we offer a completely free consultation where we evaluate your case and determine your legal options. We are available to discuss your case 24/7.
Benefits of Hiring a Bakersfield Bike Accident Lawyer
A serious injury like a broken leg can affect a person’s life for months. An injury often requires hospitalization, recuperation, and medication. It can prevent someone from working and doing their daily activities. Victims of serious accidents may also experience financial hardship.
An experienced bicycle accident lawyer can help give victims their peace of mind back. Recovering compensation from the other party’s insurance company is no easy feat, but a lawyer will be your advocate during this time. Here are a few more benefits to hiring a personal injury lawyer:
- Investigate your accident and gather evidence
- Calculate your losses and dollar amount
- Communicate with the insurance company
- Negotiate the highest settlement
- Represent you in court if a settlement cannot be reached
If you are a victim of a Bakersfield bicycle accident, do not wait too long to call a lawyer. The statute of limitations in California prevents accident victims from filing a bicycle accident lawsuit beyond two years from the date of the accident.
Main Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents happen day and night, and in all seasons. They can happen on quiet residential streets, busy roads, and in parking lots. Yet a commonality shared by most bike accidents is driver negligence. When drivers fail to uphold their duty to drive safely, they may injure a bicyclist with a much lower profile than a vehicle.
Some of the most common causes of Bakersfield bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield
- Unsafe turns or lane changes
- Reckless driving
- Driver fatigue
Damages Available to Bakersfield Bicycle Accident Victims
The purpose of a bicycle accident injury claim is to obtain compensation for the victims’ losses. These are also known in legal terms as “damages.” Calculating damages can be complicated, due to the unique nature of each bicycle accident. In a personal injury claim, damages are divided into two categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages are actual financial damages that can be calculated using receipts, bills, and invoices. Examples include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
Non-economic damages are intangible losses and cannot be calculated by a dollar amount. Examples include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Disfigurement or disability
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Determining Liability After a Bike Accident
Determining liability in a bicycle accident can be complex and challenging. On one hand, a motor vehicle driver may be clearly at fault if they ran a red light and hit a bicyclist. However, fault may also be shared by both parties. If a bicyclist failed to indicate a turn and was hit by a driver, they may be held partially liable. An experienced lawyer will need to examine all evidence carefully to determine who is at fault.
California follows a “pure comparative negligence” rule. This means that the bicyclist (the plaintiff) can claim damages even if they are partially at fault. In other words, the amount of damages that the plaintiff can collect is based on their percentage of fault. So, if a bicyclist is 20% at fault and the other party is 80% at fault, the bicyclist can only claim 80% in damages.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
A bicycle accident injury can be much more serious than a scraped knee. In fact, when bicyclists are hit by motor vehicles even at low speeds, they are likely to suffer severe injuries. A 5,000-pound vehicle colliding with a bicycle results in the following types of injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Facial injuries
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Internal injuries
- Wrongful death
Bike accident victims must undergo a long recovery period and will likely be out of work for an extended time. This puts immense stress on victims and their families. Our Bakersfield bicycle accident lawyer can help you obtain financial compensation so you are not left in debt from the accident. If your loved one was killed in a bicycle accident, our wrongful death lawyers can file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
What to Do After a Bike Accident
A bicycle accident is a shocking and traumatizing event. If you are not seriously injured, follow the next steps to protect your well-being and legal rights.
- Call 911: Even if the accident seems minor, you should report it to the authorities and get a police report. This will help you establish the facts of the accident and identify the parties involved.
- Seek immediate medical attention: Some injuries may not be apparent right away, but they could worsen over time. It is important to get checked by a doctor as soon as possible and document your injuries and treatment.
- Exchange information: You should get the name, address, phone number, license plate number, and insurance information of the other driver or drivers involved in the accident. You should also get the contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident.
- Document the accident: You should take photos or videos of the scene of the accident, your bicycle, your injuries, and any other relevant evidence. You should also write down what happened, how it happened, when and where it happened, and how you felt after the accident.
- Seek legal representation: If you were injured or suffered damages due to the negligence or fault of another party, you may be entitled to compensation. Bakersfield bicycle accident lawyers can help you protect your rights and pursue your claim. You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident and avoid talking to the insurance company or signing any documents without an experienced legal team.
Contact Horizon Accident Lawyers
Do not let a bicycle injury control your life. Our Bakersfield bicycle accident attorneys will guide you through the claims process to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and more.
We have the skills and resources to handle any type of bicycle accident case, whether it involves a car, a truck, a bus, or a defective product. We will fight for your rights and interests against the insurance companies and the liable parties. Contact us today for a free consultation and case evaluation. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay nothing unless we win your case. Let us help you get the justice and recovery you deserve.